Coming

Coming
Rebel Heir

4/19/2016

Living right

From time to time I read not so hot books. I received an ARC from NetGalley; Living right by Laila Ibrahim
This book made me want to read the bible and I'm not a active Cristian.
I don't get a good feeling of the characters, it's like they're a blurry movie and that's to bad because this is a very strong story. This a book about a family of five that's Cristian and lives a "decent" life. Mom is staying home to take care of the kids and now the kids are grown up and teenagers. There's 3 kids and their only son try's to take his own life and their life changes drastically. The challenges he's   facing is that he thinks he's gay. 
Jenn, the mother is struggling with her faith in God and feels like a failure as a mother. There is a lot of references from the bible and that made me wish I have read more of the bible to get the context. I've read books about gay people but it's always been from the gay person point of view, and it was interesting and heartbreaking to read it from a mother's point of view. 
The storyline is good and the writing style makes it easy to read. I enjoyed reading this book although I did feel a little disconnected to the characters as mentioned before.
I would say that this book is very relevant if you as a parent is struggling with accepting your children's or other relatives sexual preferences. I would also recommend it to people curious to why some have hard times accepting lesbian and gay people. 


Simply said: I recommend this book!



No comments:

Post a Comment